Thursday, October 3, 2013

Oct 3 - German Unity Day

Happy German Unity Day all, I hope this finds you well!


I did get out for 3-4 hours today to go experience the holiday, which is the celebration of East and West Germany reuniting. There was a big celebratory event at the Brandenburg Gate today (I think it actually runs 4 days) - the event had two concert stages, more than a mile of vendor booths (both food and "stuff"), and many many many drink stands. I would equate the event to the Indiana State Fair, minus the fried food, but instead of one beer tent (where adults wear wristbands to get served) there is stand, after stand, after stand of beer, liquor, and even girly alcoholic beverages. That said, I still haven't seen a "stumbling" drunk - but I've also not stayed at either of these events (Oktoberfest being the other) into the evening. :)


Flat Tony had a few photo ops today - one with me and the "main stage" at the celebration. There must have been a German boy-band on stage, because with all of the little girl screaming, I wish I could have covered my ears too -- but someone had to take the pic. One is of Flat T outside the WWII Memorial - it was closed, which is why you can see the fence. And the last one is with our lunch, right before we headed back home. I do have to say - that was my first testing of the pommes freits (french fries) - and they were EXCELLENT!

Tomorrow is TGIF folks - my last TGIF in Germany before spending a week at home, in my bed, with my family!!! I hope each of you have a wonderful Thursday.

Good-night and God-bless,
from Berlin

No comments:

Post a Comment